Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sienna...we love you

My weekend started off so great with the arrival of my new foal on Friday and then my new toy (the lawnmower) Saturday morning. I had 2 more shifts to work before the birth of my spring litter and I was focused on getting through those shifts so I could concentrate on the pending birth.
My weekend took a quick turn down south with a frantic call from Casi Saturday evening and I knew there was something terribly wrong. She was so upset I couldn't make out what she was saying exactly but I could make out that there was something wrong with one of the dogs. It was Sienna, who in all essense is her dog and has been since she was a puppy. They had found her barely conscious and lying on the deck. Dave was giving her mouth to mouth and she was barely breathing. I told them to call the emergency vet and I rushed home from work. She started to come around in the van and I tribute the fact that she is even still alive to Dave who's quick actions by doing mouth to mouth resusitation probably saved her life.
At the vets, they did xrays, bloodwork and heartworm tests. They started an IV as her body temp was really low and her heart rate was also low and she was going into shock.

He let her come home on IV with the pump in tow and I had a short night of sleep checking on her. By morning she seemed a little more alert. We took her back into the vet to remove the IV. His best guess as to what happened after reviewing all the tests was that she went into anaphalactic shock from something. We have no idea of what, if it was a wasp or bee sting or what?
He sent me home with 4 syringes the equivalent of an epi pen for people in case this ever happens again.
She is improving but is not the same girl she was a week ago. I am suspicious that she suffered oxygen deprivation in the minutes before Brittany found her on the deck.
Her coordination is off and you can see in her eyes that her focus is not quite right either. At any rate I can still see glimpses of her that we know and love. She is eating and drinking well. We will just keep our fingers crossed that these problems resolve themselves and her body heals.

These pictures of Sienna were taken just a couple of months ago, and as you can see she is a very proud lady. We are patient enough and love her enough to give her whatever time she needs to recouperate from this incident and PRAY that it does not happen again.
Sienna we love you and want you back, whole and proud....
A big thank you to Dave who saved this girl's life, who being the big tough guy was probably just as stressed as I was that night.


1 comment:

Nancy said...

here is hoping she will make a full recovery....