Thursday, May 7, 2009

New babies!

As I mentioned before that I was expecting babies this week. The big day arrived on Tuesday, 2 days before Sadie's actual due date.
She slept with me that night and didn't appear to be too uncomfortable but already at 8 am she had small pushes. I laid with her and watched the intensity and the frequency of her pushes and guessed it was early and she had alot of work to do before getting that first baby out!
I quickly ran out and let the sheep and horse and foal out as I figured I would be preoccupied for the remainder of the day.
The first baby came just before 11 am, a boy weighing 4.5 oz, he was breech but not too hard for her to deliver. She started pushing again quite soon after baby #1 arrived. They seemed like good pushes too but after an hour, still nothing and I was starting to worry that the next puppy might be big or she might be tiring already.
However, me being the over worry wart, didn't need to worry as baby #2 came at 12:30pm, another boy weighing 4.25 oz. Baby #3 came quite soon after at 12:40pm, yet another boy weighing 4.25 oz too! More pushing and at 1:30pm boy #4 was born at 4 oz. Then Sadie rested and I assumed she was done.

Yep, you counted right...there are 5 babies here! I gave Sadie a shot of oxytocin about an hour after the last puppy was born figuring she was finished and just wanting to clear any gunk and I had lost a placenta as well, so that helps to expel that. However she started pushing again and shortly at 3 pm she delivered baby #5 a girl this time weighing 3 oz! WOW 5 babies is a huge litter for a yorkie!!!

However even though its a huge litter, all puppies were born with a fight in them and all nursed basically right away. By that evening all the puppies had maintained or even gained a 1/4 oz already which is awsome!

They are a very content litter and I have hardly heard them at all at night and Sadie is a fantastic mom. She is very calm with them and obviously has tonnes of milk. At 2 days old the puppies have all gained at least an ounce. They are thriving! You can see already the difference in size at 2 days, how they have filled out and have fat fat little bellies!!!

I will continue to blog their progress. So far so good!!! Sadie did an amazing job, I am so proud of her!!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Congrat's you on your beautiful litter.....and thank you for passing the girl genes my way!!!!!!