Friday, May 22, 2009

Gardening..

Gardening has definitely been on the go this week. Wheras we were still getting frost warnings a week ago, there is no veggies planted yet but it has been my project this week to sort out my strawberry plants that have trailered and really multiplied over the winter!
So basically my 2 rows of strawberries that I had last year became 5 rows this year! I was stiff and sore at the end of the day but what really was a lifesaver is this new toy Dave bought for the tractor..it is a rototiller that hooks up to the tractor. It makes light work of tilling that is for sure.
I am hoping we have a good crop of berries, and looking forward to just stepping outside my door and grabbing that fresh fruit!!!


Also this week I made it my mission to get at my shade gardens...these never get the attention they deserve and it really shows! I wanted to do something to make them stand out and in addition cut down on the weeding...my solution..mulch!!!
I chose a red cedar mulch to hopefully do both those things! I dug out all the rocks that bordered the garden as they were sinking into the ground and really not noticable anymore and applied a good thickness of the mulch. Hopefully it will keep the garden weeding down and also keep moisture in the ground as well!

Most of my perennials in these gardens are just getting going as they are the last to get uncovered with snow in the spring.

Too, wanted to get some colour on my deck. These baskets were on sale at CT and with Casi's discount I couldn't go wrong!

Now to keep the dogs from gardening too...they would love to help...just not my kind of help! I have to admit they are pretty good considering they are all terriers..they don't dig a lot, but start a hole...then I have problems...they are inclined to finish it!



No comments: