Thursday, September 25, 2008

Getting back into routine

So it seems that everyone has settled into a fall routine. The kids have been back in school for 3 weeks now and so far everything seems to be going well.
Casi is enjoying power pack which to us "old school" folks is like an enriched program, it helps the kids really set high goals for themselves and from what I've heard its a great program and is awsome for those going into university. She is not sure yet what she wants to do exactly. She is thinking something along the lines of radiation technologist or mri or something like that. She kind of as well think that a trade of some sort might be cool too? Honestly I can't see Cas getting all down and dirty fixin cars or being a welder or anything but if that is what her heart is telling her, then who am I to stand in her way? She has been told this year that she should try out for track as her gym teacher has told her she has wonderful form in the hurdles...so I guess track starts next semester so she seems keen to try that!
James has had his usual "hiccups" in school already. Not doing his homework and not being prepared for class...really now, he's in gr 11, you would think being prepared should come without thinking but apparently that is a challenge for him! I believe so far his marks are ok so lets just hope he buckles down. This has always been his issue for as long as I can remember getting him settled into a routine at school...looking at October before it finally comes! He says he wants to be a police officer so at least for now that is what he is looking to going into. He has checked out colleges and there seems to be a lot of colleges that offer police foundations and even some locally so that might be a good option for him. He says he would like to get a job at the CECC which is the mega jail in our area so that would give him awsome experience for what he wants to do. As you know the football team had to fold and he was disapointed about that but says he wants to try wrestling and rubgy next year and even might try hockey on his schools team!
Britt is adjusting to gr 7. She continues to do well but at the same time, her chatter does get her in trouble. She has to learn to be social outside the class room! She has tried out for soccer and so far so good, has made the team. She is not sure what she wants to do, but time is on her side and she has lots of it to decide yet!
Dave is still working nights, which he hates, not so much the job but the hours really bite..530pm to 530am...he does get lay off for the winter and has plans to do some logging again so I'm sure he will enjoy the change of pace! It is a pain having him sleep through the day and having to be so concious about making noise and keeping the dogs quiet, running for the phone if it rings etc...
Me, well I seem to fill my days with the puppies and housework and stuff. The puppies have reached a stage where they want to be out of their pens more than in. So it is so fun to sit on the floor and play with them...I loose time greatly doing this! Still working part time, there hasn't been a whole lot of call ins or vacation time to cover so I've just had my usual shifts. I have all my horses situated for the winter, the stallions together and the mares together. We put our 2 herds of sheep together to make one and decided that we were just going to have just a fall lamb, not one in the winter. We were just finding that it was too much with Dave working 60/hrs a week.
I have to do quite a bit of stuff before winter, the windows need to go on the barn, pool needs to be winterized, the trailer needs to be winterized. I have to worm the horses and there are several that need their hooves done! Even if i am not working....never seems to be a shortage of stuff to be done! I would like to do some painting in the house...but that can wait until it is crappier weather out there!
We are looking at some major purchases one of which I wasn't planning on doing. Dave went to add water to our outdoor wood stove and it looks to be that it is finished! There was more water pouring out of it than there was going in! This one will be ouchy....he is not sure he can fix it. Really it owes us nothing, we bought it 10 years ago used and it has done alot of burning. So we have to decide soon as the season is upon us! There have been some nippy nights already!
Also we had gotten a couple of quotes for windows, this one I was planning for. After fighting with these old windows for the past 4 years I am so ready for new ones. They have cut my fingers and broken nails not to mention it takes me about an hour to clean each one. I dread this job! So we'll see how we sit. I cannot say for certain either but every time i cut the grass i am thinking the lawnmower will not last much longer either! AGRH!!! Why does everything happen at once!
Anyway I have tonnes of puppy pictures to post so will get at that when I have a chance!

No comments: