Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Foal update...

To say the least this years foals has been more than I bargained for and literally "less" than I bargained for. Shortly after their birth I was informed that both my foals were dwarfs. Awsome if I was breeding for pets but really bad for show/breeding purposes. You don't want to breed a dwarf and I have heard that breeders will deny ever having a dwarf and even "dispose" of it when one is born. Dwarfs can come with a multitude of health problems and hopefully these 2 babies of mine will be ok since they are minimal but who knows? I was so ga ga when they were born that I didn't even think there was anything wrong. Their size measured off the charts on the under side and still I didn't clue in. That being said these babies are awsome and they were obviously put here in my care for a reason so I will love them and look after them like they deserve.
Echo, a beautiful little palomino colt was born 17.75" at birth and according to the "charts" he should mature in the 26-27" range. He is a character...very loving and friendly. He seems to be ok thus far and is up on all of his hooves. The only out of the ordinary thing I can see with him besides being small is that his bite is off. He walks fine and seems to graze fine too. I have been told that the combination of mother and father will always produce a dwarf however Echo is a repeat breeding of a gorgeous palomino pinto born 2 years who is totally fine...so I am not sure on that one.
Here he is with Tanner...they are fast becoming buddies...if you can imagine how little he is...Tanner is about 32" at the withers, Echo can walk right under him!

And here we have Vision or V for short. She too is a living doll. She was just 17" at birth and should mature 25-26" range. She is a little more timid than Echo and if your movements are too fast she will back away but she loves to come for a scratch and any treats that I may have. Her bite is off as well and she seems to be having a few more issues with her hooves or staying up on her hooves but I am hoping with corrective farrier work and possibly some magic shoes that I have been checking into from Texas we can keep her up on her feet! When she was born I was over the moon, a little buckskin pinto filly...my dream horse...how I love buckskins!!! She still is a treasure but for obvious reasons she will not be added to my breeding program.

Both the dams and the sire have had babies for me before so why I got 2 in one year is a mystery. I do believe they are here to serve a purpose and just last week got a call from a wonderful man whose daughter has just been diagnosed with a permanent nerve disorder and they are looking for a pet and someone for her to love. Is that why I was blessed with 2 "little" angels...who knows? Maybe this little girl was put here to be angel for a child suffering with a permanent disability. Echo is tentatively reserved to a good friend of mine who deems my animals as her therapy and I know Echo will be as good for her as she will be for him.

I hope next year will be a better year for me. Better in that I can produce healthy show/breeding horses for myself or someone else. I do believe that in life we are thrown curve balls every now and then and it is up to us if we want to duck or swing.

1 comment:

Christy said...

What cute 'lil munchins!