Friday, January 30, 2009

Found One!

My search for a fireplace is over. I had searched Kijiji and Craigslist and some other online classifieds plus googled fireplaces for sale and really nothing turned up. There were some that I would have had to drive for a couple of hours to pick up that sounded like a warehouse and one other used one but the lady never got back to me so.....
Canadian Tire had some of their fireplaces on sale this week. This one in particular was $150 off and I thought it had some extra distinction with the granite over the firebox and on the base of the unit. So Tuesday evening we trucked out and got it. Lugged it in the house and us girls begain putting it together! Yep, was totally girl power with screwdrivers!! Casi read the manual and gave us instructions and in about an hour and a half it was together!

We havn't had the heat on as the livingroom is always toasty because its raised but I've had the flame only and I find it to be really cozy! Didn't want too much on top but we had lots of stuff on the piano so I had to figure out a place for other things. However, it was a must that this horse and wagon team sit on there. They belonged to my parents, the horse team I made way back when I was into ceramics, the wagon they bought somewhere in the southern states on one of their trips and I found a guy that tinkered around with leather and made the harnesses. I remember especially my dad being really proud of this, so it gives me pleasure and pride to showcase this on the fireplace.

This vase also belonged to my mom, she had a bouquet of flowers in it but they were looking torn and ratty so I found this ornamental grass at Loblaws, (on sale) no less and voila, a great new look!
I also picked up some new tropical plants at Canadian Tire that were also on sale to add some green while we are experiencing all this "white" stuff.


It gives my livingroom a new look, its cozy and welcoming and really for not that much money given that I bought the fireplace for pretty much what I sold the piano for. I think we will get as much enjoyment from the fireplace as we did from the piano the years that Casi played.




2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh my the fireplace looks amazing....and the horse and wagon...brings tears to my eyes. Dad would be soooo very very proud. Mom's vase looks amazing with the strands in it. Great job there....love the look, and love you Nanc

Chris said...

Thanks! I really like it!