Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our Christmas 2008

As much as I am glad the holidays are over I did enjoy the time with family and friends and just a break from the same ol' same ol!
We had a pretty relaxed holidays. We spent time with the kids and just hung out.
Christmas morning we heard the girls come down the stairs early..about 530am or so. The nice girls that they are...they let us sleep until about 8 or so. After our coffee's were made the gifts began!
I am always amazed on Christmas morning. Amazed in the sense at what the kids buy for each other. For several years now, the kids have bought gifts for each other. When we started this, the dollar store was a big hit and even then I was amazed at the gifts they choose for each other and how they stretched their Christmas money. Now that 2 of them are working and the dollar store is not so much the choice of stores, I still revel in what they buy.
I find it so cool that they think differently from me when I think of what gifts the kids will enjoy. They come up with totally different things but really really good ideas with incredible insight!
In doing this Christmas morning for the kids becomes not just the receiving of gifts but the joy and magic of the "giving" of gifts. They alot of times are just as excited to see someone open their gift as they are in opening themselves.
Ok...on to our gift exchange...you can imagine everyone buying gifts for each other x 5 people in the house ...there are alot of gifts under the tree!
The kids will agree that the biggest hit under the tree was Rockband for the Wii. It came under the tree for Brittany and yes she was excited. Honestly..I don't remember 80's rock sounding that way!




They got alot of clothes this year. All of them into stores like American Eagle and Aeropostale it was kind of a one stop shop for me..which made it easy!

Me? Well as usual I got spoiled. From Dave I got a digital picture frame, a hoody jacket and from the kids a crock pot, Mama Mia sound track and a fry pan! Yee Hah! I received other stuff but that just gets boring so I won't go there! Thank you to everyone who was so thoughtful! I loved everything that I received and more so the thought behind the gift!
After our gift opening, we hung around and enjoyed our gifts. The kids tore into Rockband and some of their other new Wii games.
Mid afternoon we headed south to my cousin Karen's place for Christmas dinner. She had invited us a while back and for me, this was the first "family" dinner in many years. Not having my sis close and not seeing my brothers all that much meant not having a family get together since my mom died. So this year was really special for me to spend with Karen and her parents (my aunt and uncle). She had promised a "newfie" dinner containing 11 different items. She said to bring ourselves and a big appetite cause there was gonna be a lot of food!
Karen is a great person with a larger than life personality and it was wonderful to share the day with her and my extended family.
Here we have Karen and my Auntie Donna chattin...

This bird was a hoot...loved hair and also loved the element of surprise of landing on your head. There was a few shrieks when he swooped in! This is Karen's baby, her only pet. It is wild to witness his personality!

My Auntie Donna again...
The boys had a game of pool going on. I tried my hand but really wasn't very good. Brittany on the other showed a natural ability which even shocked her brother...hehehe...

Dave watching the pool game and chatting it up with my Uncle Nick..


My other cousin Teresa helpin out with dinner...fyi..she did not want her pic taken!

The girls playing one of their new Wii games that we brought along...Outdoor Adventures - with a play mat for extra activity. It actually went over quite well and the kids had alot of fun playing it!
Teresa, Brittany and I watching the Wii games being played..

Austin (Teresa's son) also watching the games being played.

All in all we had a fabulous day! We had way too much food and food that I we had never had before. Figgy duff was one of them that I had never heard of. The newfie dinner was exceptional and so very delicious. So Karen's beau Brian explained that for them its all about taste and tasty it WAS!
I so loved the commaderie that only family get togethers can bring. It was great!
As most Christmas's the day was over very quickly but we were stuffed and happy and so appreciative of the time with family!
Hope ya'll had a great Christmas!









1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! Love you guys.....