Friday, January 16, 2009

Changin' it up a bit

Back in the spring I posted about a cabinet that James had made for me in woodshop. It has been a collector of the week's papers or basically anything else that I don't have time to deal with along with the lap top that sits on top. It has sat in my kitchen with all my "dark" furniture looking very light and "pine-ey". So, I had an inspiration to blend it with the kitchen table and chairs. I bought a can of black spray paint for the cabinet and also to fix the the rungs on the chairs...any one who has ever had puppies in the house...need i say more???
This is before::

And this is after::

I actually really like it! Never been much of a black fan before, always preferring the natural wood look but this really is eye catching in the kitchen now, whereas before it looked so washed out. I don't consider myself really as having a definitive decor taste and basically just go with what I like or what I think will look good. So I don't know what you'd call this but I think it looks much better!

On a much larger scale, I have buffet and hutch that I was considering doing the same to. However I not sure I am brave enough to do that? It is an old piece basically the colour of a medium cherry or oak look. Something tells me I may like it black and it would definitely "pop" out in the kitchen however....what if I don't like it?? Any suggestions, either way?

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Lovely, I really like it, however I'm a sucker for painted wood!

As for the other piece you have, I would paint it...If the paint doesn't go on perfectly, you can always sand the spot down or even make it look worn.

Oh, do I have a story of painting that went wrong but turned out SO good!

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide!