Thursday, October 2, 2008

Teenagers...

Monday evening was my typical evening at work. I checked my cell phone on my breaks and call on my supper and see if everything is ok at home. Nothing out of the ordinary. I arrive home after my shift and Cass is still awake and she tells me that James cut his leg while tinkering around out in the shed. I ask if it is ok and she says, "he says its fine, its just a scrape". So I head off to bed and think nothing more of it.
Well in the morning I see this "scrape" and it is a gash about 4.5" long across his upper thigh and it has quite an opening.
Me::I ask him why the heck he didn't call me at work?
James:: "Why, its just a scrape?"
Me:: "Because it needs stitches, thats why"
James:: "Awwwww...it'll be fine"

And off to school he goes. I am thinking we have missed the deadline for stitches..for some reason I thought it was 12 hours and seeing as that had gone by, no point in sitting in emerg now. I already had an appt in Peterborough with Cass so I was committed for the morning but thought I could squeeze him into the dr's in the afternoon.
Just before we are about to leave, the phone rings and it is the principal of James' school calling, wondering why I havn't done anything with his leg? After trying to explain to him that I am not able to do anything in the morning and that yes James is up to date on his tetanus shot and I will call and try to get a dr's appt for him this afternoon, I was getting a little exasperated. After all had I known about this at the time that it happened, I would have taken him for stitches right away, but this principal was making me feel like I was being lax for not doing anything. I was even surprised that James showed him the cut because being at his upper thigh...he litterally would have had to drop his pants to show him! However James never being the bashful one I guess I shouldn't be surprised!!
Anyway got the appt booked for the afternoon, dropped Cass off at school, picked James up and into the dr. we go. She is absolutely stunned that he didn't come in sooner for it and even more so that he didn't tell me when it happened! I think he gave them all a good laugh in the office on his cavalier attitude! She called in her hubby (also a doctor) for his reaction and also the receptionist for hers...all they could do is chuckle that he was calling this gash just a simple scrape!
Well the simple scrape took 13 stitches to fix back up and I was wrong, she said its about 22 hrs before they won't stitch something back up.
So for now he is put back together again and on antibiotics for infection. Some days he reminds me of my father who would have spit shined it clean and away he would have gone.
Teenagers though....when they call 6x at work for silly little things and when its really important, I hear nothing.....

No comments: