Saturday, September 26, 2009

Too Cool...

The other day I was driving home and noticed this brown thing in the field. I thought it looked like Dave had dumped a pile of stones. I thought it was strange that he would have dumped stones in the middle of the field so I questioned him and he said that the brown thing was a muskrat house.
This is what I spotted from my van.....

So of course I had to go and investigate and check it out!! We have had an incredible wet summer and I guess the now wet land is ideal conditions for them to buy their houses.

Although I didn't really want to run into the occupant of the house I did find it really interesting and cool how it was built and what the little booger made his house out of. You can see he used roots and grass and mud. His house stand about 5 feet tall and about 3 feet around. Pretty impressive for a 'rat' sized body I'd say.....

Call me simple but I just think it is really cool how nature can take care of itself and how one little 'rat' thingy could build something like this!!! Even though I've never seen a muskrat and I'd like to keep it that way, kuddos to him for his inginuity!!!

No comments: