Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Being Present

This has been on my mind alot lately. "Being Present" in my kids lives. Lately I feel it being so important. With James going off into the world within a year and then the other 2 following close behind how present was I in their lives? When they look back on their childhood what will they remember most?
Where is the balance of building a home and life and a roof over their heads along with putting food on the table without missing out on the important 'little' things in their lives???
We all want our kids to have things, and why is it so important to have the house clean or to get that load of laundry done? Why do we as women put so much pressure on ourselves to be "Super Mom" and do all things for everyone?
As some days are just busy and before I know it the day is over, did I remember to give them a hug or tell them I loved them? What are they going to remember about that day? That the dishes are done or the warmth of a loving hug? Or the floor is swept or conversation over baking or taking the time out to play a game or going for a walk?
Where is that balance of teaching them to be responsible for themselves along the way so that they can look after themselves on their own and have the skills to do so or letting them be kids when they are kids. How do we teach them to be productive members of society but yet allow them to have a childhood?
As a child we were always made to help, in my case it was in the barn as I grew up on a dairy farm. At the time I didn't like it at all but now I see that it instilled a good work ethic within me to try to do a good job in whatever I do. I do hope my kids will have that same ethic as well but how do I teach them that it is not ALL about work?
How do I try to be present in their lives when I feel it is now that they need the guidance the most (even though they don't think so!) along with the daily stresses of bills to pay, housework, farmwork, gardening, work etc?
There is a full time line posted at work, basically yes it would mean a financial boost in my pay but it would also mean that I would rarely be home at the supper hour. Again I have had to struggle with finding that balance of 'yes', the money is always useful but is that more important than dinner conversation with the kids or "being present" when they come home from school and hearing about their days. Even though they don't actually 'need' me to be home how many of those little moments are going to be lost by not being there?
I'm sure most of you moms or dads (especially of teens) out there have had the same thoughts or struggled with these issues, would love to hear how you managed to balance out everything. If not then I just had to get this out there as it has been weighing heavy on my mind lately.

No comments: