Sunday, August 10, 2008

They've arrived!!

It would seem that I was right on target from my last post about Sadie's pending labour. By Friday afternoon, she was increasingly restless and I could feel her contractions. She started pushing about 230 or so in the afternoon and knowing her history I camped out for a long wait. She has had 2 very long labours previous. 4 and 6 hrs of pushing so I was prepared to not be in a hurry. Her pushes got more intense by 330 and she started digging and clawing at the bedding in her pen. By 350 I could see a water bubble with tiny back feet in it. A breech puppy.... The pushes continued but it didn't seem like the puppy was advancing. At 405 I was starting to get worried and attempted to help this little one out. With some effort from me and alot from Sadie I was able to get the puppy out enough that I could have some leverage with its hips. We are talking something small enough to be a field mouse so there isn't a whole lot to grab!! With its hips out I grabbed a small wash cloth so it wouldn't slip and gently pulled with each contraction...I felt the shoulder loosen and then the head and puppy #1 was out! "He" was stressed from being stuck for so long and with alot of rubbing and stimulation he was breathing and letting out some cries. WHEW!!!! I was totally shocked when I weighed this wee fella and he was 5 oz!!! That is a good size puppy! Seeing that they were 3 days early I couldn't believe the size of this guy! Puppy #2 came about an 1 hr later also breech and a bit of a pull but not so bad.... a girl weighing 3 3/4 oz and then puppy #3 came about a 1/2 later...another girl!! She weighed 4 1/2 oz another good size puppy!!
So I am thrilled, and elated that these puppies are here and they are ok!! I have been stressing about having a vet call or worse having a traumatic litter. So far so good!!
I could have cried tears of relief Friday evening when I seen all the babies contentedly nursing.
Here are Sadie and babies just after they were born.

The boy on the left, smaller female in the middle and larger female on the right....


Here they are at 2 days old...already gained 1 oz each...see how much chubbier they are since Friday! Boy in the middle, smaller female on the left and bigger female on the right.


1 litter down, 1 to go due next Monday the 18th!!! I am just keeping my fingers crossed that all goes just as planned with them as well!!!

Will keep you posted with new pictures as these babes grow!!

No comments: