Sunday, August 17, 2008

More Babies!!!

It is starting to look like a yorkie nursery around here! I love it!
Friday evening Sienna had her babies. Again they were born 3 days early and I think these guys were maybe somewhat more premature than Sadie's as they looked thinner and maybe not as much hair in places.
Her labour was awsome! She was definitely getting more and more uncomfortable as Friday wore on. Casi was in a panic as she was on a field trip and really wanted to be here for her girl but wasn't arriving home until 7 pm. The texts were frequent back and forth about "how she was doing" and "let me know" etc!!
Sienna started pushing with some really small pushes at about 8 pm...(ya she waited until Casi was home..go figure huh!) I guessed she would be still be a while and with Cass home to watch her I quickly went out and did up the chores in the barn figuring I would busy with her until late. I came in at about 830 or so and her pushes had gotten more intense..no puppy presenting yet. By 9 pm I could see a bubble with little feet in it..again breech puppy! Her pushes were strong and very intense and she moved that baby out with no problem. I have to say that she is one power house when it comes to pushes. First baby born at 905pm very strong and screaming. A GIRL!!! We cleaned baby off and Sienna went to work at bathing her and almost right away she started doing some small pushes again. The wee girlie was keen to nurse within minutes which is a great sign!
Baby #2 came quickly at about 930... also a GIRL!! She was breech as well but was screaming with seconds and also wanted to nurse right away.
Lastly baby #3 came about 1030...a BOY this time!! He was a little more stressed..probably being last in line to be born I don't know. He gasped for a while but settled into a nicer breathing pattern within about a half hour. All babies were born breech...not sure why I am getting all breech babies but as long as they can pass them it really doesn't matter! Sienna was such trooper and wow she can have those babies!!! She makes it look easy! Too bad all of my deliveries wouldn't go like this!!! Coincidentally Sienna was born in my van on the way to the vets...thus the name Sienna..she barely came naturally but her siblings did not and had to be c/sectioned.

These are pics at about 12 hrs old. They were not a happy bunch, I am guessing because they were a little premature but they would only settle for about 20 minutes or so. Made for a very short and interuppted sleep Friday night. I think Sienna was a bit overwhelmed too, she kept licking and licking them when they would settle. They would cry and I would get them on to nurse and they would still cry. I don't know if they were cold or hot but just kept trying different thing through the night and day yesterday to get them to settle. We would get 2 to sleep and the opposite one would squirm and wake the 2 sleeping babies...WHEW...glad I never had triplets!!!

Here is the gang this morning at about 36 hrs old. Finally last night by 11pm they seemed to be content. Not sure if it was because Sienna's milk is starting to come in but they were laying there sleeping peacefully! I took full advantage and got some well needed sleep last night!

Autumn looks on in the whelping pen, very concerned or perplexed at what these creatures are!!! Up until now she has been the baby in the family and doesn't quite know what to think of these squeeling babies!!!

No comments: