Sunday, April 11, 2010

Gettin' at Gardening!

Spring Fever must be in the Air! We started ( and finished ) a project this weekend that had been on the 'Hunny Do List' for probably 3 years!!!
The Job??
Organizing the raspberry canes!
Doesn't sound like much right??? This was a 2 man - 2 day operation with heavy equipment involved!
Basically the canes were in a big clump in the garden. When we moved here the grass was so overgrown that we didn't even realize there had been a garden and we found the raspberry patch! So for 5 years we have tried to pick the berries in this clump and for about 3 of those years I have want to dig them ALL up and put them into rows!

So finally this weekend - its DONE! I am really pleased! Doesn't look like much but it is 100% better than it was a couple of days ago!
To the right of the canes, is my strawberry patch which should be a bounty crop this year as I did all the transplanting last year!
Call me a hick but there is something just so natural about going out to your own garden for your produce! With all the big hype on for natural and organic...I tell you folks this is the way to go. With a little hard work and some time it is so much cheaper this way!

Under this dirt (I hope) will be my aparagus. We all love this veggie although it is deathly expensive but a treat for us! We transplanted this as well to have all the permanent crops in one area of the garden.
At the far end is rhubarb and over more left are blueberry plants. We hope to add more of those plants too.

This was the perfect time to do it! The canes are just budding and I imagine they will look fabulous once they start to grow their leaves. Even thing else is just starting grow from the winter too.
So I am extremely pleased that the task is finished. With that job off the list there are several more to follow as the list seems to never be clear around here!
I am tired and scratched and sore but its ALL good knowing that it was a team effort that got the job done!

No comments: