Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Road Trip to Darien Lake!

Very spur of the moment....and generally we are not very spur of the moment people we took a 3 day trip down to Darien Lake, NY.
Last minute we found out the Dave could get some time off work and it happened to fall when I had my weekend off so we (and when I say "we" I really mean "I") quickly planned a trip to a place that we had talked about for a couple of years now. It was kind of rush rush, making arrangements for all the animals at home as life on a farm does not mean just pick up and go whenever you want!
Darien Lake is basically the NY version of our Canada's Wonderland except there is camping on site. So passports in hand, off we went!
I was quite surprised, that basically in 3.5 to 4 hr drive we were there.

We decided to rent a trailer there instead of bringing ours with us. Dave calculated that the difference in cost would likely be eaten up in fuel of taking our trailer....personally I think he just wanted me to do all the driving as I usually do! (FYI...I don't drive with big trailers on the back)
This was the view from our trailer door....looking right over into the park!!!

Lots of things to do for thrill seekers!!! The girls went on all the rides multiple times. Not I however, I am a bit of chicken when it comes to heights and prefer to have my feet planted firmly on the ground....

It was a great spot, would love to do it again next year. Hopefully this time with James too. (He had summer school and couldn't miss any time) It was quite relaxing as the girls were occupied and I actually got to read and finish a book that I had started on the plane to BC.
Cost wise it was probably cheaper to do this than to buy tickets for Wonderland for 3 days and stay in a campground.


The evenings were great for campfires and they put on a fireworks plus laser show every night. The show was spectacular and very cool to watch. I totally think we made the right decision to rent a trailer versus staying in the hotel at the park. It was more economical as we could cook our own meals plus camping is just way cooler!

After 3 days of fun and tonnes of roller coasters we were ready to head back home. We stopped at a huge mall in Buffalo and did some shopping. I did some BTS (seriously Back To School shopping already?) and got some great deals. I even found a Bath and Body Works store, I have SO wanted to shop there for ages!
We toured up to the American side of Niagara Falls and checked it out. I am such a terrible Canadian.... We live this close to one of the most phenominal natural wonders of the world and I have not seen the Falls since I was 5 or so and don't even remember it.
We debated which side to see and ended up with the US side figuring that we could always see the Canadian side another time without having the hassle of customs or border crossing.
What a beautiful sight it is and so humbling!!!

We toured a wax museum of all the significant people who had anything to do with the Falls and became quite tourist'y' and walked along all the vendors. Brittany was on the hunt for "I 'heart" NY" T-shirts.

We crossed the border early evening and had dinner at a Tuckers Marketplace in Toronto. We made it home just after 10pm, tired but really happy that we did this trip. It was above all nice to spend some downtime together and also see some interesting sight along the way.

It was a cool road trip....

No comments: