Thursday, August 6, 2009

The deck is fini!!!!

This is one post that I am really excited to share! If you remember the post I wrote last month about the deck building that was going on and I promised to let you know when it was finished so here it is!!!
For 2 long years we have discussed this deck project. As with all projects it is a balance of time and money which there never seems to be enough of. Surprisingly it didn't take too long at all. Basically 2 weekends of puttering on it and its pretty much all done! The deck wood is eastern cedar and Dave did a favour for a guy and got the lumber at a great deal.

We still need to cut lattice and put along the ground and in between the new and pool deck.

We have a temporary make shift gate that is blocking access to the pool, so we have to build a gate here yet too.

I just love the new space! I also think it is cool the way there are different levels and corner angle stairs. Does anyone have any ideas of a stain that works with cedar? Over the years I have tried different stains and treatments and non of them stick? I have resorted to just pressure washing the grey away every year. Any ideas??? Anyone??? You can see the difference in colour between the new and old, I would love to keep it looking the new colour....

We have to move the clothes line yet to the far end of the deck so no one gets strangled.....:((

It remains quite bare yet as we finished the deck and left for Darien Lake within 2 days. All I have managed to do it get a few planters to place on it. If the dogs leave them alone they should look quite nice on there! For now the plan is to put a gazebo (sun shade) on there with our dining patio set underneath.
On a grander scale I would like to get some outdoor furniture at some point, like a wicker set or something along those lines. There are so many cool and interesting outdoor pieces out there! I have been surfing kijiji and craigslist for a good used set but nothing has popped up so far. Even grander yet I would like to a 3-4 person hot tub at some point. This is an item that I probably will not buy new as they are grossly expensive and if patient enough you can find a good used one reasonable. I am looking for one of those ones that is just the 110V that you plug in and use, if anyone knows of one.
There are a few finishing details we need to complete on the deck yet but I was too anxious to wait! This is by all accounts phase 3 of our deck project, the 1st being the deck at the front and 2nd the pool deck. Phase 4 and the final phase is a roof over the deck at the front giving the house that ol' country charm of a front porch. I am excited about this one too but Dave has already warned me not to even mention it until next year!!! Stay tuned!!!





2 comments:

Diane said...

Very nice!! I'm jealous! When did you get a pool? I'm all for the hot-tub too. Our little backyard is too small for a pool, but i'm hoping one day to swing a 3-4 person hot-tub myself.
Very Very nice job guys!

Shawna said...

FABULOUS --- It looks great! Hopefully the weather will turn around for you now so that you can enjoy it!