Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Workin' on the deck

Our project for the past few weeks has been putting up a deck around the pool. Dave has put up sections in between working and trying to get things done around the farm. Here is how it started....

Dave being the wood man...only uses eastern white cedar...no pressure treated for this guy!!! I do have to admit I love the look of the white cedar but it always stumps me on how to keep it looking this good. Cedar naturally repells anything so a stain will just peel off. I have resorted the past few years to using a Thompsons Water Seal, only clear....no colour in the seal at all and have been quite happy with the results.


We plan to extend the original deck that we put up 3 years ago to the new pool deck with steps going up with some sort of gate so the dogs cannot get up to the pool. Here you can see the original deck and the new deck. The steps are still kind of primative but we can only get so much done with Dave doing a 50 hr work week!!! He is the master planner and builder and I, only the lowly assistant.


In between working and other stuff I have been trying to pressure wash the deck and reseal it as well. The cedar looks great for a while but naturally greys and I really don't like that look. So every couple of years it is a big task to pressure wash it down and redo the seal. Lots of work but it looks so awsome when it is done! I have been hard pressed to find enough sunny days to wash, dry and reseal and let dry for 48 hrs without rain!! Its getting there!!!!

1 comment:

Christy said...

That reminds me that we have needed to stain our deck since last year.....ick!