Thursday, July 3, 2008

From Berries to Jam...

Yesterday before work, Cass, Britt and I decided to go berry picking. We are in the height of strawberry season and we always try to go so we can make jam. The berries were loaded on the plants and it didn't take us long to get our baskets full.


For the jam, I use the quickest easiest method. There is no boiling or cooking whatsoever. I use the Garden Fare Gelling Powder made by Club House. The recipe actually calls for less sugar too than Certo.
:::You take 4 cups of fruit, this can be any combination of fruit, I have tried strawberry/rhubarb and also have tried strawberry/rhubarb/pinapple...this one was really good!
:::Next you stir in your sugar and time it.
:::Stir in the gelling powder
:::Time it
:::Stir again for the required length of time and Voila!!! Pour into your jars and you have jam!

I should mention as well that this is freezer jam. I have used these packets for many years and the kids love it and really don't like the store bought jams anymore. You can also make your berries purree or leave pieces and chunks, however you like it! You can use any fruit, raspberries, blueberries, I have also made peach jam with this too.



1 comment:

Christy said...

Yummy.....the jam looks wonderful!