Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Autumn's princess

Yes my Autumn is a mama!!! My princess has her own princess!!! This "single" bundle of joy was born Sunday evening at app 8:30 pm via c/section. Autumn started labour about 2 am Sunday morning, and by 6 pm sunday evening her contractions were no closer together and it seemed that they were not strong enough to get things going. I had already done an xray the previous Thursday and knew that there was only 1 puppy and it looked pretty large on the scan and also it was breech......
So not wanting to take any chances with this single puppy I called the vet and by 8 o'clock we were on route to the vet. We arrived and they prepped Autumn and started IV, got her cleaned and reshaved and by 830 pm we had a baby! The vet and her tech were speed demons for sure, I don't think I have ever had a section go that quickly! Hoping that because I hadn't waited too long the puppy would not be compromised I expected baby to fare just as well as mom....
Coming out with a super strong heartbeat, for whatever reason the little princess crashed and her heartrate became dangerously slow. With lots and lots of stimulation, some atripine and epinephrine to jump start her heart again, her heart rate was coming up. It was really tense for a bit.
However, long story short we got her going and by 1030 or so we were home. That night the little princess found her voice and wow...did she use it. She was cranky and irritable and Autumn was not sure what this tiny thing was?
I was up and down most of the night, getting baby to nurse and getting her to pee/poo as Autumn was still not sure what to do with her. By 4 am Autumn figured it out and man did little princess get a bath!
These pics are mom and baby post 15 hrs after surgery...

This is mom and baby at 3 days old. Baby has gained 25 grams in this short time and is doing extremely well. She finally started to look for and latch on the nipple yesterday afternoon, before that I was putting her every chance I could!
It is totally a labour of love, which I do love. Seeing them flourish and thrive before your eyes is an unimaginable feeling and worth all the lack of sleep!

Little princess is unnamed at this point....I am looking for suggestions?? Something pretty and unique?? The vet and the tech wanted to name her Turtle after her sluggish start but I just don't think that is a very elegant name for a show prospect puppy!!!!
So far all I can come up with is Lara or Alia .....
Any help would be great!!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: